What is Wallpapers Toolbar?
Finding new wallpapers and personalizing your background might seem like a fun activity; however, we do not advise you using the recently created Wallpapers Toolbar. It has browser hijacker qualities as it forces you into using the ask.com search engine. Apparently, its main task is to promote ask.com, so it will not work as you would expect it. This application promises that you will be able to choose from a variety of free wallpapers, upload your own picture and make it as your wallpapers, check your local weather or email, too. However, do they not look like unnecessary tools to you? Obviously, you can make any picture of yours as a wallpaper if you right-click on it and select “set as a desktop background.” So why would anyone need to create or download some program for a simple task that can be easily done without it? This is not the only reason this toolbar looks suspicious. Thanks to our researchers at Anti-spyware-101.com who have tested this extension, we now know exactly what it is capable of and, most importantly, how you can remove it from your computer. So read this article if you want to learn why it is dangerous or slide to the bottom and follow our removal instructions.
Where does Wallpapers Toolbar come from?
This program is most popular in the United States, though it is also known in India, the United Kingdom, Mexico, and Argentina. It is hosted with such toolbars as ultimategamesbar.com, readingfanatic.com, crazyforcrafts.com, and many others on the 18.104.22.168 IP address that is located in New York, the United States. Wallpapers Toolbar comes from the large Mindspark toolbar family. It is a well-known application developer; however, its extensions are considered to be annoying and dangerous.
This particular one can be found on its official website: wallpapers.myway.com/index.jhtml, although, many users claim it was installed on their computers without permission. That seems very likely to us because we know that it can travel bundled with malicious software. For example, you could have downloaded Wallpapers Toolbar with some freeware program you installed the other day. There is a high chance that you entered an unreliable file-sharing website, which suggested many programs that looked legitimate. You cannot be too picky while choosing software download sites, it is always better to look for other users’ reviews of a site than download software from the first website that you come across.
How does Wallpapers Toolbar work?
This program settles in your main internet browser and adds a toolbar to it. Besides installing the annoying toolbar, this extension changes your search engine and your homepage to ask.com. However, ask.com search is considered to be unreliable as it displays sponsored links. Although they might seem harmless, such links can redirect you to third party websites that can be unsafe. Many possible threats can await you on such sites. For example, you might be tempted to purchase some product or services that could be fake and so by paying online, you would expose your credit card’s sensitive information. Cyber criminals could record it and use it to steal from you. If your computer is not protected it could be enough to enter an unsafe site with a malicious code and your computer could be infected with Trojans, worms or other malware. When you think about possible threats, it seems that it is not worth to keep this hijacker, especially when this program does not work as it should.
How to delete Wallpapers Toolbar?
The good news is that you can remove it from Internet Explorer via control panel while the Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox users must delete it manually through the add-ons/extensions manager. The bad news is that the automatic removal that we have just mentioned is not enough as it will not erase Wallpapers Toolbar completely. This program creates a lot of leftovers that you will have to find and delete on your own. However, do not despair and carefully follow the instructions that we have prepared. If you have any problems with removal, you can ask for our help by leaving a comment.
Uninstall the Wallpapers Toolbar via control panel
Windows 10 and Windows 8:
- Press Win+R to launch the RUN dialog box.
- Type Control Panel and click OK.
- Select Uninstall a program.
- Choose the application and click Uninstall.
Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
- Go to the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program.
- Select the program and click Uninstall.
- Click on Start.
- Select Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Select the application and click Uninstall.
Remove Wallpapers Toolbar from browsers
- Launch Internet Explorer and click on settings icon on the top-right corner.
- Select Manage add-ons and choose Toolbars and extensions.
- Find the toolbar and remove it.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox and press CTRL+SHIFT+A.
- Choose Extensions.
- Select the unwanted program and click Remove.
- Launch Google Chrome and press ALT+F.
- Click on More Tools and select Extensions.
- Find the undesirable extension and select Remove.
Erase the remaining junk files
- Locate the following path: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage.
- Find and delete listed files:
- Locate and delete WallapapersbyMyWay_fd folder from this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\WallpapersbyMyWay_fd.
Remove the remaining keys from the Windows Registry
- Press Windows Key+R.
- Type regedit and click OK.
- Delete WallpapersbyMyWay_fd key from following path: HKCU\SOFTWARE\AppDataLow\Software\WallpapersbyMyWay_fd.
- Locate this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings.
- Delete following keys:
- Find this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface.
- Delete these keys from it:
tested removal of Wallpapers Toolbar*100% FREE spyware scan and