What is Search.mymoviesxp.com?
Search.mymoviesxp.com has an interface of a harmless search provider. On top of that, it provides links to imdb.com, rottentomatoes.com, fandango.com/movietimes, and youtube.com, all of which are harmless links to legitimate websites. Needless to say, this search tool does not look suspicious at all. However, if you use it as a regular search provider, you will find yourself being redirected to Yahoo. Although this search engine is not malicious, it could be exploited by the browser hijacker for promotional purposes. Have you used this search tool, and advertisements or useless links were provided to you instead of regular search results? You might unknowingly interact with these links and get yourself into trouble. This is one of the main reasons to delete Search.mymoviesxp.com from your browsers, and our Anti-Spyware-101.com researchers are here to assist you with the removal operation.
How does Search.mymoviesxp.com work?
If you have not acquired Search.mymoviesxp.com with the extension available at mymoviesxp.com or chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/my-movies-xp/iigkidgnhoippgjjmkncajfjkkpagfmk, you might have let it in via a malicious or unreliable installer. According to our research, misleading pop-ups are often employed for the distribution of this hijacker along with a corresponding extension, My Movies XP. If a pop-up was used to introduce you to this software, you have either visited an unreliable website hosting this pop-up, or an unreliable advertising-supported program is active on your PC. Obviously, in case of the latter, you need to erase malicious adware right away. You might also need to worry about the removal of third-party programs if you download Search.mymoviesxp.com bundled with other programs and they turn out to be malicious. Hopefully, the only suspicious piece of software on your PC is the My Movies XP extension and its hijacker. Although it might seem as if this extension is only available for Windows XP users, this is not the case, and we have found that it is compatible with such popular browsers as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
When you install My Movies XP onto Chrome – unless it was installed without your permission – you are introduced to a notification indicating that this extension reads data and manages apps, but this notification does not warn about the installation of Search.mymoviesxp.com. Of course, if your browsers are modified without permission, you need to delete this browser hijacker right away. But even if this search tool is installed with your knowledge, it is best to eliminate it because it is not beneficial. Sure, it provides easy-access links to useful sites, but that is what a bookmarks bar and reliable toolbars are for. A search tool is meant to help you browse the web, and Search.mymoviesxp.com is unreliable when it comes to that. This search provider reroutes to a Yahoo search engine that presents modified search results, and clicking on sponsored links that are likely to be added could be dangerous. In the worst case scenario, you could find yourself in a malicious website responsible for malware distribution.
How to delete Search.mymoviesxp.com
According to our research, Search.mymoviesxp.com only hijacks the homepage on the Google Chrome web browser. Unfortunately, this hijacker could affect other browsers as well, and it could modify search provider and new tab settings as well. So, if you have downloaded the My Movies XP extension, please check all active browsers to see if they have been modified by this suspicious program. The instructions below should help you remove Search.mymoviesxp.com from your browsers and the operating system in no time. Do not worry if the instructions look intimidating. In reality, the steps are very easy, and we are sure that you will be able to follow them with ease. Of course, if you need our assistance, you can let us know about it via the comments section below.
- Launch Explorer by simultaneously tapping Win+E keys.
- Enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ (or %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\) into the address bar.
- Open the Default (or *Profile name*) folder.
- Delete the Preferences, Secure Preferences, and Web Data files.
- Open the Extensions folder and Delete the iigkidgnhoippgjjmkncajfjkkpagfmk folder.
- Enter %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ into the address bar.
- Open the folder that represents your unique Firefox profile (random characters).
- Right-click the file called prefs.js and choose to open it with the Notepad.
- Delete the strings representing the URL of Search.mymoviesxp.com.
- Now launch RUN by simultaneously tapping Win+R keys.
- Type regedit.exe into the dialog box and click OK to launch Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
- Right-click the value called Start Page and select Modify.
- Overwrite the URL of the hijacker and click OK.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\.
- Right-click the key named MyMoviesXP and select Delete.
After the removal, please install a trustworthy malware scanner. This tool will thoroughly inspect your operating system to see if it is clean and safe to use. If the scanner detects threats, please eliminate them as soon as possible to stop all malicious processes. Use automated malware removal software if you are having trouble erasing malware manually.
tested removal of Search.mymoviesxp.com*100% FREE spyware scan and