What is Surf Canyon?
Surf Canyon, which is developed by the Surf Canyon Incorporated, is categorized as a browser extension which is compatible with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This software is not malicious itself; however, we still recommend that you delete Surf Canyon from the system or use it carefully because it might lead you to potential threats. It claims that it can improve your searching on Google, Bing, Yahoo!, and Craiglist and you can download it from surfcanyon.com/extension.jsp.
How does Surf Canyon work?
After you install Surf Canyon onto your computer, you will see that a toolbar appears at the upper part of your browser. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Amazon can be accessed through icons which are placed on the toolbar. Besides, there is a search box which can allow you to make searches in real time. It claims that search results are based on your actions. Moreover, if you go to the download page, you will see supposedly trial search box below the download button. If you enter a query and click the Search button, you will see that you are not only provided with search results but also a definition box is shown. You should not trust search results 100% because there is a possibility that sponsored websites are included and you will end up in a website with unknown content. It is because Surf Canyon is not responsible for thecontent of the third parties.
Surf Canyon is usually installed together with other software. During the research implemented by our specialists, this browser extension came bundled with certified-toolbar.com, which is a browser hijacker and which changes homepage and search engine. However, it might get onto your computer together with Conduit Search Toolbar and MyWebSearch as well. In addition, it might be related to Widdits platform in some sense.
How to remove Surf Canyon?
As it is a legitimate browser extension, you can keep it onto your computer but we recommend using it with a great care because it might collect your browsing history, the information about the time you spend on particular websites, and keywords which you enter into the search box. If you have decided to remove Surf Canyon from your computer, you can use manual removal instructions which we have provided for you below. You should also scan your computer with a reliable antimalware tool.
Surf Canyon removal
- Open the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs and find the unwanted application.
- Click the Remove button
Windows 7 and Vista
- Click the Start button and go to Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program and locate the Surf Canyon.
- Right-click on it and then click the Uninstall button.
- Press the Windows key to access the Metro UI menu.
- Move the cursor to the right edge of the screen.
- When the Charms appear, select Search.
- Find Control Panel in the list and press Enter.
- Select Uninstall a program and find the one which you want to remove.
- Right-lick on it and press the Uninstall.
- Open your browser and press Ctrl+Shift+A.
- Select Extensions on the menu on the left and find the one which you want to remove.
- Click the Disable button.
- Open your browser and press Alt+F.
- Go to Tools and then Extensions.
- Under the heading Chrome, select the extension which you want to remove.
- Click the trash button and click the Remove button once again to confirm the removal
- Open your browser and press Alt+T.
- Click Manage Add-ons and select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Find the application which you are going to delete and select it.
- Click the Disable button.
Surf Canyon is a browser extension which is not malicious; however, it might lead you to potential threats and collect the information about your browsing activities. You can easily remove it using our manual instructions but please make sure that you scan your computer with a reliable tool.
tested removal of Surf Canyon*100% FREE spyware scan and