What is Seek123.net?
Seek123.net might look like a normal search provider but our Anti-Spyware-101.com malware research team identifies it as a browser hijacker. Even if you installed it yourself, you have the right to call it a hijacker because it has the potential to modify your homepage. Obviously, if this infection slithers in without your notice and hijacks your browser (IE, Chrome, or Firefox) without permission, you should have no more hesitations regarding its elimination. We strongly recommend removing Seek123.net from your browsers regardless of how it occupied them because it is a threat that you simply cannot underestimate. This infection could easily put your virtual security at risk without you even realizing it, and you can only prevent that from happening if you delete it. The information in this report is based on the findings that were collected when analyzing the hijacker in our internal lab. If you want to learn more about certain things, or you have more questions, contact us via the comments section below.
How does Seek123.net work?
According to the information we have gathered, the suspicious Seek123.net is very similar to Asiasearch.co, Searchfar.net, Fetchsearch.com, and other hijackers that we recommend removing as well. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that many users will know about this as they are introduced to the hijacker. It is most probable that you will be introduced to it via a software bundle promoting more attractive programs. If you have the chance to reject unfamiliar software, always do. Also, if you are forced to install a search tool – or any kind of software, for that matter – think carefully if you are interacting with a reliable installer. Needless to say, installing software from unreliable sites or via random pop-up offers is never a good idea. In general, it is best to research the software you install at all times, especially if you are using third-party sources versus official ones. Considering that you might have let in other dangerous and unpredictable pieces of software when installing Seek123.net, we advise using a malware scanner to inspect your operating system. If additional infections are found, figure out how to delete them as soon as possible.
How to delete Seek123.net
Do not feel intimidated by the removal guide below because it is easy to follow, especially if you follow the steps carefully. Once you delete Seek123.net – and all other threats active on your PC – you should perform a full system scan once more just to check if your PC is now clean. If you find leftovers, take care of them first before using your computer and browsing the web as normal. In case you are unable to eliminate the existing threats manually, do not panic. You can download an anti-malware tool to find and erase the existing threats. In fact, we believe that everyone should use anti-malware software, and not just because it is quickest and most efficient when it comes to the removal of malware. If you keep this software installed and updated (this is very important), malicious infections will not be able to get into your PC in the future, and we are sure that you want to ensure full-time protection.
- Launch RUN by tapping keys Win+R.
- Enter regedit.exe to access Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
- Double-click the value named Start Page to open it.
- Overwrite the hijacker’s URL in the value data box and click OK.
- Launch Explorer by tapping keys Win+E.
- Enter %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ into the box at the top to access the folder.
- Open the folder representing Firefox profile.
- Now, open the file called prefs.js and find this string: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://Seek123.net");.
- Overwrite the hijacker’s URL and save the file.
- Launch Explorer by tapping keys Win+E.
- Enter %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ into the box at the top.
- Open the Default folder or the folder that represents your Chrome profile.
- Delete these files (or overwrite the hijacker’s URL in them): Preferences, Secure Preferences, and Web Data.
tested removal of Seek123.net*100% FREE spyware scan and