What is Search.adstopper.com?
If you have experienced a change of your web browser’s default settings, it is a primary indication that a browser hijacker is active on your computer. One such application that fits this category perfectly is called Search.adstopper.com. If you ever happen to come across this invasive program make sure to stay away from it at all times. It is critical to do so as this hijacker can only make your web browsing experience an annoying and bothersome due to its invasive functionality. Along the changes that it makes the browser hijacker could also turn out to be a reason your computer might end up filled with suspicious programs. This is so because it could cause system exposure to potentially malicious web content. Such functionality of Search.adstopper.com should not be tolerated, and it should be deleted without any hesitation. It is important to read the rest of this report in order to learn how this hijacker functions and how you can remove it without encountering major problems. Our malware researchers at Anti-Spyware-101.com have crafted a removal guide that will help you terminate this program even if you are not an advanced computer user. Use it and you will be able to restore the default settings of your web browser.
What does Search.adstopper.com do?
The basic functionality of Search.adstopper.com is not different from other browser hijackers that are roaming the web these days. Once it enters the operating system, it will make a fundamental change to popular web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox by modifying the default home page. This will happen whether you want it or not, which is bothersome, to say the least. Unfortunately, you will be forced to start your browsing session on this newly appointed homepage for as long as this intrusive piece of software is fully functioning on your computer. The only rather different thing about this hijacker is that it does not change your default search engine. On the other hand, the dubious website that this unwanted program sets as your default homepage presents a search box. Even though at first sight it might seem useful and reliable you must be informed that our research team has come across something rather alarming about it. Upon further investigation, it has been discovered that using this search field could result in a system exposure as you might be provided with results that could be embedded with redirect links. Coming across such a result might have devastating outcomes because it is impossible to foresee on what website you might end up by clicking it. For example, you could end up on a fake online shop, created to steal your credit card data or you could be taken to a suspicious website that might be hosting dubious software. It should be more than obvious that finding yourself in any of these situations is a risky business. Do not take any chances with Search.searchgrm.com as the only thing that should be done about it is its complete removal.
Where does Search.searchgrm.com come from?
Search.searchgrm.com is usually distributed via software bundles. Such way of spreading software is popular among malware distributors since users often skim through the whole installation procedure consequently allowing the installation of some questionable program to take place. Such installers are mostly obtained from suspicious download sites. To significantly reduce the risk of infecting your PC in such a manner, you should avoid such websites at all times. Also, make sure to bypass any download managers as they could also trigger an installation of some unwanted program. Your best bet to get clean setup file is by downloading it from official creator’s website. Furthermore, you should always perform an installation procedure with extra care. Do not, under any circumstances, skim through such a procedure as you might miss a chance to simply unmark a box that would cancel the installation of some dubious program. It should be more than obvious that the best way to keep your PC fully secure at all times is by implementing a professional antimalware tool on your computer if you do not have one already. Such a tool is imperative because it can identify any dubious installers or website beforehand.
How to remove Search.searchgrm.com
It is imperative to delete Search.searchgrm.com if you are a security-conscious user. Pay your full attention to the removal procedure because just one mistake could result in an incomplete removal of this hijacker. If you wish to be sure that everything linked to this intrusive program has been removed from your PC, you must conduct an in-depth analysis of your computer for potential leftover once you are done with the manual removal. This is imperative since just a few leftover files or registry entries could still be enough for Search.searchgrm.com to function.
How to delete Search.searchgrm.com from your computer
- Click the Windows button.
- Type regedit into the search box and select it.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
- Double-click the value named Start Page.
- Replace the unwanted URL in the Value data section with a one of your choice.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage.
- Select the registry key called search.adstopper.com and remove it.
- Now go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes.
- Right-click the registry key called 4b312722-1f78-4984-aa3c-81e77e3a1e43 and select Delete.
- Now open the File Explorer.
- Go to C:\Users\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions.
- Find and remove the folder called bkjjlihdpbjopagppemnfahfeajkokbb.
- Go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions.
- Once again terminate the folder named bkjjlihdpbjopagppemnfahfeajkokbb.
- Now go to C:\Users\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\[your profile name]\Extensions.
- Locate and remove the folder entitled bkjjlihdpbjopagppemnfahfeajkokbb.
- Go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\[your profile name]\Extensions.
- Get rid of the folder that is named bkjjlihdpbjopagppemnfahfeajkokbb.
- Now go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default.
- Remove files called Preferences, Secure Preferences, and Web Data.
- Finally go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles[unique Mozilla user ID].
- Right-click the file entitled prefs.js, click Open with and select Notepad.
- Remove the user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "search.adstopper.com")string.
- Click File and select Save.
tested removal of Search.adstopper.com*100% FREE spyware scan and