What is iStream.link?
From iStream.link description on the Chrome Web Store, it seems that the tool is designed to provide results with streaming content. However, it is hard to say for what purpose the applications developers released it, especially when the provided official web page does not appear to be available anymore. Based on the software’s behavior our researchers classified it as a browser hijacker. The application might affect major browsers by replacing their default search engine or homepage with Stream.link. If you can, you should avoid this search engine because it might show modified results, which could include potentially harmful third-party content. Users who do not want to risk their computer’s safety for such a doubtful program should remove it at once. Deleting the browser hijacker is not that complicated, but if you are an inexperienced user, it might be easier to follow the instructions below.
Where does iStream.link come from?
How does iStream.link work?
As you already know, the application installs a browser extension that should be compatible with Google Chrome, but might work on Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer too. Once the extension appears, Stream.link hijacks the browser by replacing your usual search engine or homepage. Because of these changes the user might be forced to search with the provided tool.
Nevertheless, we advise you to use iStream.link as less as possible. This browser hijacker’s End User License Agreement (EULA) document states that “Search Software may provide, or third parties may provide, search results or other links to other World Wide Web sites or resources or software.” This might mean that the search engine could include third-party advertisements in the results. Unfortunately, some of the third-party ads could originate from malicious web pages that seek to gather your sensitive data, distribute malware, etc.
Users should also know that the software’s creators do not take any responsibility in case you receive any harm while using the search engine. As a matter of fact, users are additionally warned that the application “may still be vulnerable to various security issues.” Such statements on the EULA makes it look like the software is rather insecure for you to use.
How to erase iStream.link?
If you do not want to keep the browser hijacker on the system, you should delete it. There are two ways you can get rid of iStream.link, but before you choose one, it is important to evaluate your skills. Users who are experienced enough could use the manual removal instructions placed below the text. Nonetheless, if you are one of those who find manual deletion too difficult, you should install a reliable security tool. It should manage to detect the browser hijacker and erase it from the system.
Eliminate iStream.link extension
- Press ALT+X, click Manage add-ons, then choose Toolbars and extensions.
- Find the browser hijacker and delete it.
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+A and click Extensions.
- Select the application and press Remove.
- Press ALT+F, select Settings, choose More tools and pick Extensions.
- Find the unwanted extension, press the trash bin button and select Remove.
Delete iStream.link from browsers
- Open the browser, click Tools available on the top-left corner.
- Select Internet Options and open the Advanced tab.
- Press Reset, mark Delete personal settings option and click Reset again.
- Click Close.
- Launch the browser, press the Help icon on the top-left corner.
- Choose Troubleshooting information and wait your browser opens a new tab.
- Click Refresh Firefox, then press Refresh Firefox again and select Finish.
- Open browser, click settings icon, and select Settings.
- Slide down and choose Show advanced settings.
- Scroll below, click the Reset Settings button and press Reset.
tested removal of iStream.link*100% FREE spyware scan and