What is Contenko?
Contenko is a new search engine that claims to be a faster way to search whatever you are looking for. It can be either accessed through its homepage which is contenko.com or it can be installed together with another piece of software. Contenko.com is compatible with such browsers which are used the most by computer users, for instance, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Even though it looks like a decent search engine, you should not use it. There are several reasons why we advise you to remove Contenko from your computer and never use it again. Firstly, it is categorized as a browser hijacker; secondly; it might change your homepage and default search engine to its own; third, it might lead you to potential infections; finally, it might violate your privacy.
How does Contenko.com act?
Contenko, as other similar browser hijackers, might collect information about your browsing habits because it uses tracking cookies. Such information as your browsing history, the websites which you visit, and the time you spend on them is the information which is being collected very frequently. This information is often used in order to display advertisements which, supposedly, might interest you.
Moreover, it is already known how Contenko.com and similar software comes into your computer. The most frequent way is through bundled downloads. Let’s say you download free software from the internet and do not unmark all the components which go together during the installation process then it means that there is a possibility that you might end up with various bundles.
How to remove Contenko.com?
If you decided to remove Contenko from your computer, you should know that the easiest way to do that is to acquire a reliable antimalware tool like SpyHunter which will definitely delete Contenko without any difficulties. You can also use manual instructions which we have provided for you below; however we still highly recommend scanning your computer with an antimalware tool because not all the elements might be erased manually and there might be a possibility that other threats have already entered your computer.
- Press Alt+T to access the Tools menu and then select Internet Options.
- Under the General tab type in a new homepage address and click OK.
- Press Alt+T again and select Manage Add-ons.
- Select Search providers on the left and click on the search engine which you want to remove.
- Set another search engine and click Set as default.
- Press Alt+T and then click Options.
- Under the General tab set a new homepage URL and click OK to save the changes.
- In the upper part of your browser, near the search box, find search provider icon and click on it.
- Select a new search engine from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the search provider icon again and click Manage Search Engines.
- Find the one which you want to remove in the list and click Remove.
- Press Alt+F and click Settings.
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages under the heading On startup.
- Click Set pages and add a new page, then click OK.
- Under the heading Searchselect Manage search engines…
- Find the one which you want to remove from the list and click X.
- Select a new search engine and click Make default.
Contenko.com should be removed from your system because it is more harmful than beneficial. You can use manual removal instructions which we have provided for you, but you should definitely scan the computer with a reliable software to find out if there are no other existing threats.
tested removal of Contenko*100% FREE spyware scan and